Friday, January 20, 2012

Teaching Endeavors

Well, I did it! OK, I had some assistance from my wonderful dance teacher, but still. I had no idea what to expect in a pre-ballet pre-tap class for tiny munchkins. They were soooooo shy around me and I swear that this one little girl was giving me the evil eye the whole time. But, this little blonde girl with wild curls couldn’t stop smiling and even gave me a scarf to hold. Evidently, if you make what you want them to do a game, they will do it. First we were suns, then we morphed into mermaids with hot pink hair, and suddenly we became music boxes. Granted it’s still not a piece of cake to keep the attention of a 4 year-old, even with these tricks. I’m wondering how long it will take the kids to warm up to me. Right now I feel like a horrible routine-ruining giant. I gave all the kids a high-five after class, and that seemed to break the ice tremendously. Not to mention I have to kneel down to reach them, consequently putting me more at their level. I know this makes them feel better; who wouldn’t be slightly disturbed if they had to be constantly looking up to someone who was three times their height? I’m approaching this strategically as well….. One word: stickers. OK, three words: Sparkly snowflake stickers. Is there a better way to showcase my mission of fun, I ask you? Anyway, I’m very excited to see how God will use this opportunity to grow me as a dancer and a person.
Happy Dancing!
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely people